- The first and foremost requirement for a commendable score is gripping the bat securely with both the hands. The left hand of a right-hander batsman should be at the top and vice versa for a left hander batsman.
- Both hands should be close together at the top of the bat’s handle. The forefinger and the thumb should form a V shape at the back of the bat; it should face away from the body. In this position, the top of the hand should rest on the thigh of the leading leg.
- A batsman should face the bowler sideways. There should be a comfortable distance between the legs and balls of the feet. The knees should be bent slightly. According to the pitch of the ball, the body weight should be transferred to either foot.
- The bet should be kept vertical with the body. Swinging should be practiced to accustom the weight of the ball and foot movement. Protective clothing is a must before receiving a ball.
- You should adjust your distance from the wicket. Too close a distance will result in knocking the wicket with backward swing. The bat should be raised with backward swing as the bowler approaches.
- The batsman should step into the shot and as the ball pitches, he should, meet it with forward swing. The front shoulder should be rolled down and the head should be kept as still as is possible. As the ball passes between the feet, it should be struck.
- Another cricket batting tip is shot selection. Lack of it can lead to batsman dismissal. As the bowler varies pace and pitch of the ball, the batsman should select as top which shot to play. When the shot is played, the body weight of the batsman should be on either foot. These shots should be practiced before a more-advanced technique is attempted.
- A combination of defensive as well as attack shots should be practiced. The key to scoring high is in knowing when to block and when to hit a score.
Tips and warnings:
- You should practice with a softer ball.
- Play in a cricket net to avoid fetching the ball from great distances.
- Avoid swinging the bat indoors.
- Hard ball should be used with adequate protection.